Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The ant and the eagle

An ant and an eagle fell in love one day;
love conquers all, or so they say.
All went well till the eagle spied the sky
and remembered she knew how to fly--
she had never promised to stay on the ground;
although to keep the love she'd found
she had to stay, and not go far,
had to ignore that heaven had stars,
that high above, clouds floated, winds blew
that high above, other eagles flew.

Eagle


The ant each day earned his daily bread
by fetching and carrying things on his head
through hard toil, uncomplaining of his lot
never thinking to aspire to what he had not,
that an eagle loved him was too good to be true,
he thought; it was a fluke, it would fall through.
He was just an ant; what did he know of the sky?
He belonged to the ground, he would not even try.

Let me fly, I will come back, the eagle said,
Stretching her wings for the flight ahead;
You belong nowhere but the sky, the ant replied;
I love you but this won't work; we tried.
The sky's your domain, to the earth I am bound;
I can't fly, and you can't stay on the ground.
But don't some ants grow wings and fly?
The eagle asked. Not I, said the ant. No, not I.

Ant
------------------------
The blog is "Laya's Stories" but I've decided to include poems and all things literary as well ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment